Monday, February 1, 2010

My true love:

Is a book. I am convinced of that now. I have already blogged about Rabih Alameddine's The Hakawati, but I never really did it the justice it deserves.

This book is brilliant. It is magnificent, it is excellent and, most importantly, it is a work of art. It is so beautifully written, so exquisite, you will find it hard to put it down for one second. It is addictive. If there ever were an addictive book, this would be it!

One thing I will admit however, is that this book suffers greatly from ADD. It is hard to get into it if you aren't a book lover. If the first sentence of "Listen. Allow me to be your God. Let me take you on a journey beyond imagining. Let me tell you a story", then you truly are a lost cause. In this book, you will feel joy, sorrow, fear, guilt, dread and regret in every page. You will laugh and cry at the same time. You will be happy yet miserable. You will want the book to end, yet pray at the end of every page that it wouldn't. This book will torture you, make you suffer and leave you begging for more. It will show you worlds you never imagined, and some that you forgot you ever visited. Action, drama, suspense, comedy and tragedy all come together and conspire against you. You will be taken on a journey beyond imagining, one that you will hope would never come to an end.

If a book could be turned into a human, I would marry this one. Even if he would suffer from ADD, even if his emotions will be unstable and all over the place, I would be head over heels with him. This book, makes you feel alive. This book, makes you believe in fairy tales, this book, is so powerful that reality slips away quietly when it is open, just so as not to disturb one letter written in it. This book is WOW!

I highly and truly recommend it. Please, please PLLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEE read it. I am reading it for the second time, and it is still as magical and as different as the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment