Wednesday, February 22, 2012

On the Arabic language

Arabic, as an academic language, has been a thorn in my back ever since I was a child. I say academically because the written and spoken Arabic are 2 different things altogether. Each area, city and even country has its own dialect, while we all write it and read it the same way.

Having said all that, however, I have to admit that no language is as rich as Arabic when it comes to descriptions. One word can have a thousand different meanings, all relying on where you use them in the sentence. It truly is amazing.

Today, I came across this:



Presence vs. Absence

Translation: The cold presence is much more painful than the absence. Isn't it simple, yet perfect? It could be applied to so many different scenarios and situations, and in each of those, it will still stand true.

It is these little things that remind me of just how wonderful Arabic truly is as a language. I can sit, read and enjoy, and that makes it perfect 

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment