Monday, October 23, 2006

Eid Mubarak

Well, today is Eid. Eid is a Muslim celebration to end the holy month of Ramadan. It is typically a three day event whereby family and friends meet and greet each other, prayers are preformed, and money and food given to the poor. It is a beautiful time if you are lucky enough to be surrounded by those dearest to you. Above all else, however, it is a time to kick back, relax and enjoy the great food and sweets that are usually served with not-so-great company.



Ahhh yes, I remember what Eid was like. Last time I celebrated Eid was 6 years ago. 6 years... that is a hell of a long time to go without it. No wonder that sometimes i feel that I am no longer connected... it is probably because in 6 years, whatever connection I had, I have lost.



Last Eid I had was in 2001. I remember waking up in the morning to the smell of my dads perfume -he had just walked past my room-, to the sound of my mom's hairdryer, to the sound of the phone ringing nonstop and finally, to the sound of the T.V where they were broadcasting the Eid prayer live from one of the mosques.We would all put on our best clothes, get ready, then go out for Lunch. Usually my dad invites family and close friends for stuffed veal, or kharoof mi7shi-. A lot has changed since then. For starters, as my sister puts it, now you wake up to the voice of her kid and my brothers kid screaming. It is a different house too, since my parents moved recently. Even the head of state has changed as the Sheikh died 2 years ago.



So that is what my Eid was like then. My Eid now? Nonexistent. I have no one to celebrate with, and even if i did, i can't. I have three classes first thing in the morning, starting at 8:45 am. I do not even feel it is Eid in this country... 6 years, BIG change...

No comments:

Post a Comment